Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 15:36:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        danj@3skel.com
Cc:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ufs is too slow?

 * Justin T. Gibbs writes:
 *  >
 *  > The main reason MS is looking to Veritas is that NTFS just doesn't perform
 *  > when striped or mirrored.  The NOW project at Cal did I/O comparison studies
 *  > on x86 platforms using Solaris, FreeBSD, Linux and NT and found that while
 *  > FreeBSD and Solaris could achieve upwards of 30MB/s through a striped file
 *  > system, NT topped out at around 9MB/s.  This was NT3.51 - they may have
 *  > improved things for 4.0.

Uh, are you talking about us? ;)

Yes, we did, but Solaris didn't perform nearly that well.  It was more
like 13MB/s.  You are right about FreeBSD and Windows NT.

 * where did the Linux ext2fs fall?

It didn't install on our PC with 2940UW. :(  (We spent 2 weeks trying
to install that crap, ugh.)

Satoshi