Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 05:10:07 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
Cc:        Nielsen <nielsen@memberwebs.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (jail) problem and a (possible) solution ?

Patrick Thomas wrote:
> ok.  I was just looking back at a previous comment you made:
>
> > Amusingly enough, you might actually have *better* luck with a
> > lot less swap...

I meant reserve, not physical swap.  I can see how it could have
been confusing in context; sorry.

> and thinking that even if removing most of the swap did not _solve/mask_
> the problem, at least it would be a step in the same direction as upping
> KVA (even if it is not as large a step)  but if that is not the case...
>
> ...then, has anyone written a HOWTO on upping it in 4.5-RELEASE ?  You
> mentioned to look back over your own old posts on the subject - before I
> jump in and try it, I want to confirm what I believe to understand, I need
> to set the KVA value in my kernel config _and_ edit those other two files
> in the kernel source, then just recompile my kernel.
>
> Sound like I'm on the right track ?

Yes.  That's the way to do it for 4.5, specifically.

FreeBSD really needs an internals book.  But like I said, this
changed between 4.5 and 4.6, and everyone who's buying books
would be more interested in 5.x, and all the important things
change too fast (writing an internals book is an ~2000 hour job,
and that basically means that the important stuff can't change
for a year, or you have to track it -- which inflates it to an
~3000 hour job).  Basically, most of the important internal
interfaces need to sit still so that a book can be written, or
"no book".  Even so, the selling life of the book will be
limited to the amount of time after publication that things
actually sit still.  Kirk McKusick is rumored to be writing one;
so was Wes Peters.  Alfred and I discussed a device driver book
that both of us thought needed to be written.  Etc..  But no
book, yet.

I really hesitate to put down an A-B-C set of steps, if I know
that not only is it only applicable to a couple of versions,
none of them are the current version.  8-(.

> Terry, thanks again for your help and for all the help you regularly give
> to other people pursuing items such as this on the various FreeBSD lists.

Eh, I'm noisy.  8-).

You still need to run the debugger, I think.  So far, this is
all theory.  It fits the facts, but I can think of two other
very low probability ways to cause the same symptoms.

-- Terry