Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 01:58:52 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dedicated disks (was: Dangerously Dedicated)

> On Sunday, 19 November 2000 at 21:20:43 -0500, Mike O'Dell wrote:
> >
> > having partition tables on disks is just as much part of
> > the "PC architecture" as having to deal with the unpleasant
> > ealities of BIOS.  use the hardware, play the game.
> > deal with it.
>
> Fine, if there's no alternative.  But you're ignoring the fact that
> there is.  We get rid of the BIOS as soon as we can after the boot.
> Why stick with the disk layout?  Remember, I'm not saying "let's
> implement dedicated disks", I'm saying "let's not throw out dedicated
> disks".

Just so that some poor sap that searches on this topic doesn't get
swamped by your FUD, I'll answer this question *again*.

Because the mere *presence* of a disk with a DD layout in the system - not
the boot disk, not even a disk ever accessed by the bootstrap process -
can and will in some cases cause standards-compliant adapter firmware to
*crash* or otherwise fail in a fashion which renders the system unable to
boot.