Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 21:47:46 -0600
From:      Matt Evans <bitstream@netpc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Getting error on installation procedure

I'm installing FreeBSD from a DOS Partition, which resides on a Seagate
2GB Baracudda drive.  The DOS partition is 313MB, the rest is reserved
for FreeBSD.

The problem is, after setting up the FreeBSD slice and individual
filesystems; /, /var, /usr, and swap.  I get a "Write failure on
transfer! (wrote -1 bytes of 1024 bytes)" message.  After reading a
able to get a little more info:
DEBUG: Generating /etc/fstab file
mountmsdosfs(): Warning: root directory is not a multiple of the
clustersize in length
DEBUG: Mounted DOS device (/dev/sd0s1) on /dos.
.
bin
bin/cat
bin/chmod
/stand/cpio: invalid header: checksum error

gunzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
DEBUG: Switching back to VTY1
/stand/cpio: premature end of file
This would seem to indicate a problem with the compressed install files
located in the c:\freebsd\bin, c:\freebsd\des, etc.  I have downloaded
and verified the byte size of all the files in question, many times.  I
have checked the integrity of the DOS partition, which is good.
The only thing I can think of is a possible incompatiblity between the
freebsd loader and DOS partitions. I might add that this is actually an
uncompressed Windows 95 partition.

I have since read that there is a problem with installing FreeBSD from
DOS partitions.  ARRRGH!!!!  Has this been fixed yet???!!!  I would
gather this present a major problem for people installing FreeBSD, if
they aren't loading from CD-ROM.  Please help.

Matt Evans
Bitstream Solutions, Inc.

bitstream@javapc.com