Date:      03 Dec 1999 16:58:52 +0100
From:      Kent Boortz <kent@erix.ericsson.se>
To:        "Daniel J. O'Connor" <darius@dons.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Out of swap hangs machine

"Daniel J. O'Connor" <darius@dons.net.au> writes:
> On 03-Dec-99 Kent Boortz wrote:
> >  Could someone clearify this matter? Is it my setup that allow ordinary
> >  users too much freedom or is this a problem with FreeBSD?
>
> How much swap did you give it?
>
> How much RAM do you have?
>
> It should be of the order of 2x your RAM..

I have 128 Mb of real RAM and 256 Mb swap. I increased the swap to 517
Mb to be able to run ImageMagick on the files I had (added a swap file
in the file system). Made the machine almost single tasking ;-)
Freezed the mouse pointer in X for some time but worked ok. I will buy
more RAM but was more curious about the philosophy behind these memory
problems. I thought that the kernel reserved some memory to be able to
handle the situation. Is an ordinary user taking up all RAM, swap and
CPU supposed to make the console unresponsive? I have to admit I
forgot to check if I could ping or log in to the machine from another
machine, I only checked that the console was dead. I will do that next
time.

kent