Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 14:58:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        Mark Boolootian <booloo@cats.ucsc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: where does authentication happen in telnetd?

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Mark Boolootian wrote:

> Can anyone give me a general pointer to where in telnetd the user
> is authenticated (assuming normal authentication is being used)?  I'm
> looking at the code in /usr/src/libexec/telnetd
>
> Maybe I should ask the meta question:  I've got a box which can normally
> only accessed via ssh.  I want to allow telnet access to a specific
> account (for providing network status).  The only way I can think of
> to accomplish this is to hack the telnet daemon to permit only this one
> user.  Are there any alternatives?

You might want to look into PAM (see the man page for PAM(5)), as this
would give you the flexibility to do things like you want, and in
particular, you won't need to hack telnetd--at worse, you'd only end up
writing your own PAM module and then configure /etc/pam.conf to use it.

Ken Bolingbroke
hacker@bolingbroke.com