Date:      Fri, 23 Sep 2011 14:06:35 +0300
From:      Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
To:        Jason Usher <jusher71@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Rich <rincebrain@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: redux: 48 or 96 sata3 paths ... specific ZFS hardware proposal

On Sep 23, 2011, at 01:11 , Jason Usher wrote:

> You are saying I want the IR, yes ?
>=20

You want IT firmware. You also need to follow exactly the procedure to =
update the firmware and you also should use the Supermicro provided =
software. In particular, pay attention to write down the original SAS =
addresses.

>=20
>> - If memory serves, the way the PCIe bandwidth works on
>> that board is
>> that slots 1-3 go to CPU1's interface and slots 4-7 go to
>> CPU2.
>=20
>=20
> So, if I add four LSI cards, I should probably put two of them on =
slots 1,2 and the other two on 4,5 ... yes ?

You also need to make sure you have two processors. In you only have =
one, then ports 4-7 will get routed to the first CPU, via the same QPI =
link to the hub chipset.

You also need to make sure RAM is evenly populated for both CPUs, but =
this should already be in the motherboard's documentation.

It is somewhat unclear how good current FreeBSD handles NUMA and similar =
architecture=85 At worst, you will end up with just the capacity of one =
QPI link to the peripherals.

Daniel=