Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:58:37 -0800
From:      Tim Traver <tt-list@simplenet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.3 dev nodes

Hi all,

ok, this may be a dumb question, but here goes...

I have just started using the 5.X branch of FreeBSD, and needed to mount
a hot swap drive in a second drive bay. In the past, I've simply run
MAKEDEV, and it made the device files for me, and then I was able to
mount the drive and I was on my way...

It appears that this has been replaced by devfs, and I must say that
this is an extremely difficult process to understand (must mean its very
powerful ;).

All I want to do is create the da1 devices for my second scsi disk, and
I honestly have no idea how to do that with devfs...

Anyone shed some light for me ???

Thanks,

Tim.