Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 2008 10:36:44 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        pav@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: purely package-based/oriented solution

on 23/04/2008 01:37 Pav Lucistnik said the following:
> Andriy Gapon píše v út 22. 04. 2008 v 22:41 +0300:
>> Sorry if this is something obvious or a FAQ.
>>
>> Is there a tool for purely package-based management of third-party software?
>> That is, something that meets the following criteria:
>> 1. doesn't require ports tree
>> 2. works similarly to package installation in FreeBSD installer
>> 3. can properly handle upgrading packages (including dependencies)
>> 4. can check remote package repositories and, based on timestamp or
>> INDEX, can find new versions for installed packages
>> 5. can verify that all dependencies would be met before downloading all
>> packages in full (e.g. based on INDEX data or can download initial
>> blocks of packages, so that package metadata could be extracted and
>> examined).
>
> portupgrade should be able to do 1-4, I don't know if 5 too.

I have an impression that portupgrade doesn't consult INDEX file in
package repository to get package versions, instead it looks at local
ports tree (or its INDEX) to find outdated packages and then tries to
fetch new versions (according to the ports) from the remote repository
and if that fails it tries to fetch complete package files from Latest
and then checks if downloaded version is newer than installed version.
Again, this is my impression.

--
Andriy Gapon