Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 22:40:10 GMT
From:      hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   To Asian FreeBSD hackers: Japanese boot.flp is now available!

Hi!  A good news for Asian FreeBSD hackers.

We release the alpha-test version of Japanese boot.flp for FreeBSD
2.2-960612-SNAP.  It contains all fonts for ASCII character set (128
chars), JIS-0201x-1979 "Kana" character set (128 chars with 8th bit),
and JIS-0208-1983 level 1 "Kanji" character set (about 3000 multibyte
chars) in only "one 2HD 1.44MB floppy" !!  It can display these
mutibyte characters on normal PC VGA display without any special
localized hardware.

Almost all messages of sysinstall have been translated into Japanese,
and help files are now translating by FreeBSD user's group in Japan
(readme.hlp and usage.hlp has been translated into Japanese).

The URL is,

ftp://ryukyu.mt.cs.keio.ac.jp/pub/alpha-test/jboot/boot.flp

I think it is possible to create Chinese boot.flp, Korean (hangul)
boot.flp, etc. based on this work.  If you're interested in creating
your boot.flp in your mother tongue, please e-mail me!

We have more free space on 2HD floppy.  I know of course that Big-5
font is huge even compared to Japanese font, but I think it's possible
to create Chinese boot.flp in one 2HD floppy!

--
          HOSOKAWA, Tatsumi            E-mail: hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
                                               hosokawa@jp.FreeBSD.org