Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 00:52:57 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        danj@3skel.com, gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ufs is too slow?

Satoshi Asami writes:
>  * where did the Linux ext2fs fall?
>
> It didn't install on our PC with 2940UW. :(  (We spent 2 weeks trying
> to install that crap, ugh.)

Sorry, I already deleted the original message, so I'm replying to
this one instead :)

I've asked several owners of Linux systems to send Bonnie results,
and found that EXT2FS was very much slower than FFS. This lead to
the clustering code in Linux being changed, by Gerard Roudier, who
had ported the FreeBSD NCR driver to Linux before, and was very
disappointed by the lack of file system performance. He acchieved
more than a factor of two of improvement on some metrics.

The improved clustering plus 4KB allocation blocks (which waste an
additional 10% beyond what is reserved to avoid fragmentation) made
Linux perform about as good as FreeBSD UFS on all tests except the
seek test. The seek values suffered, because of the unconditional
read-ahead, if I understand the situation correctly.

EXT2FS with 1KB allocation units performs significantly worse than FFS
with 4K/512byte. But this is in part due to Bonnie doing 8KB reads,
which are very 8K/1K FFS friendly, and still work better given 4KB blocks
than 1KB blocks ... (There often was a factor of up to 3 in the rewrite
results between Linux and FreeBSD on comparable disk drives, for example.
If I remember correctly, the seek rate is now by nearly a factor of 2
lower than before the cluster code changes, and is by about that factor
lower than under FreeBSD. But beware of buffer cache effects in that
test: Linux tends to use a far higher percentage of memory as a buffer
cache!)

Linux was unique under Unix operating systems on current hardware in
that it was not CPU limited in the "per char" tests (which I use as
an estimate of CPU performance on large memory applications :)
This was corrected with the new clustering code.

I could dig out some numbers from my mail archive, but those are not
obtained on recent Linux kernels, and thus are of not too much value
anymore (IMHO).

Regards, STefan