Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:51:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Predrag Punosevac <punosevac@math.arizona.edu>
Cc:        David Naylor <blackdragon@highveldmail.co.za>, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP: Motherboard Selection (ASUS)

> Ted,
> I love reading your comments as you are so knowledgeable but you should give
> a brake to a poor guy. He is already traumatized
> by online experience so we need to conform him.
>
> There is nothing wrong in buying thins from online retailers as you can
> usually save 30-50% in my experience but as Ted said you have to know what
> are you buying.

what i always do when have to buy a computer is to (after getting rough
knowledge what will work in freebsd)

a) go to the shop and say about what i want to buy, telling in advance
that it has to run freebsd, and i want to check it before buying.

in many shops they refuse to sell at all, but there are other shops :)

b) check everything with live cd+my laptop. disks, network, etc.

c) if it work - buy it, and ONLY complete machine, not parts.

may get slightly more expensive but no problems then