Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2017 17:26:03 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stop

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:33:29 +1000 (EST), Ian Smith wrote:
>I don't see how someone could confirm the subscription using the OP's
>email address, without having read/write access to that mail account?

Neither do I, but I'm a subscriber of several mailman mailing lists
were for mysterious reasons this happens at least one time a year. It
happens for at least 6 times a year that somebody does confuse the
address to post a message to all the list members, with the "request"
address. It doesn't help that all list mails have a footer, or start
digest mails with short, but complete explanations or that MUAs provide
a menu entry for mailing lists, so that nobody needs to care about the
headers or anything else, but get all options provided by the GUI, for
direct mouse usage.

For the mail I'm replying at the moment Claws provides the menu

Message > Mailing-List

with the options

                         Post
                         Help