Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 19:14:40 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Status of lukemftpd? (was: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf (fwd))

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 12:17:09PM -0400, Robert Watson wrote:
> Given that lukemftpd is highly feature incomplete with regards to the
> default ftpd, I'd like to propose at least the following:

What "default" ftpd?  We don't have one anymore.  I consider it a HUGE
feature that lukemftpd doesn't do PAM.  Like the new "standards" headers,
PAM has done nothing for me over what I had in pre-PAM'ized FreeBSD, but
cause great pain.  Yet another promiss of something the better and easier
that has not turned out to be the case.

Anyway, please do not do anything to lukemftpd until I return.

-- David

> (1) All references to lukemftpd as "the ftpd" be corrected to indicate
>     lukemftpd is not the default.  Most of these are leaked references
>     from lukemftpd man pages that were not updated in the import.

We typically don't rewrite contrib'ed vendor branch code.  On some of my
systems lukemftp is THE ftpd, so they do apply.

> (2) Remove reference to lukemftpd in inetd.conf: it looks a little silly
>     to have a warning there, and the only purpose of listing something in
>     inetd.conf is if you plan to have it be the one users turn on.

We do intend for people to turn it on.  It should stay where it is.

> (4) The release notes indicating lukemftpd has been imported should be
>     updated to indicate it is not the "default" and that it is feature
>     incomplete.

It is not incomplete -- it has a fine set of functionalty.  In fact it
has larger functionality in that it is imperlious to PAM f*&king over