Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:24:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      donnie brasco <js_11234@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   print filters

I posted a message on 4/11 stating that I was loosing
entire lines of data, of text files, when I sent them
to my HP laser jet 2100 to be printed.  Allow me to
expand on that.

Let's say I type in a paragraph, such as this one
using the 'cat' utility.  If I hit the enter key at
the end of each line (not sentence) to move the cursor
to the next line then a LF is inserted into the data
stream.  When the file is sent to the printer using
lpr, the input filter specified in /etc/printcap
replaces the LF with CR+LF, allowing the LF to be
correctly interpreted by the printer (eliminating the
"staircase" effect).  Now, if instead, I just keep
typing, without hitting the enter key to move to a new
line and just allow the cursor to automatically move
to a new line when the end of a line is reached then
there is no LF in the data stream.  Now if I try to
print the paragraph, all data after the first line is
lost because the printer will print to the end of the
first line of the page and stop printing anything on
the page since there is no LF to tell it to move to
the next line.

My question is this, how do in print text such as
mentioned above, that don't have explicit LF's within
it.
                                              js