Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 09:53:29 +0100
From:      "Fulvio Risso" <risso@polito.it>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <tcpdump-workers@tcpdump.org>
Cc:        <winpcap@netgroup-serv.polito.it>
Subject:   Kyxtech: freebsd outsniffed by wintendo!!?!?

Hi.
Sorry for bothering you again.
This is the last public reply on this argument.

- I'm very happy to hear (from many of you) that what "Jessem" said was not
the FreeBSD-people thought.

- I like FreeBSD myself; we have several FreeBSD servers on our network

- I apologize for not having sent a summary of our tests on the FreeBSD
mlist.

- Fast answers to the several questions:

Buffer sizes
We did not make any test about creating 1MB buffers. However our
architecture does not have the problem that "large buffer" = "large time
used to transfer this buffer to user level" because we are able to transfer
small pieces of data according to the network status. In other words, we
have a transfer similar to the BIOCIMMEDIATE mode of BSD, so the transfer
should always be optimized.

Context switches
Are kept the lowest, because several packets can be transferred at the same
time.

Safety
We still keep 2 buffers (kernel and user). We're evaluating a 1-buffer
architecture (taking into account the security problems)

UFS filesystem
We used FAT to strore packets because the UFS filesystem was on a second
hard disk, so that the disk could have made some difference. We can
reinstall BSD and repeat the test. We'll do that for sure.

Improving BPF
We made source code freely availble
(http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/WinPcap/).
We're very happy if someone will implements these ideas in BSD, so we can
discuss (and compare) ideas between us.

To understand more
We submitted a paper "An Architecture for High Performance Network
Analysis". You can find more details (and updated tests) at
http://www.polito.it/~risso/research/WinPcap.pdf

Thank you again,

	fulvio and the WinPcap team