Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2001 22:12:28 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>, "Ryan Thompson" <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        "David Loszewski" <stealth215@mediaone.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ^M on end of lines

On Sunday 04 November 2001 12:04, Siegbert Baude wrote:
> > Actually, what ASCII mode is supposed to do, is, when transferring
>
> text
>
> > files, convert to the platform specific text format. (Which really
>
> means
>
> > the receiver strips or adds the ^M). This instruction is actually in
>
> our
>
> > training manual for new employees developing code on Windows machines
>
> who
>
> > need to transfer via FTP. USE ASCII MODE FOR ASCII FILES. :-)
>
> As Real Programmers(tm) know all ASCII codes OR EBCDIC, you see that ftp
> text mode must do more than only strip or attach ^m. Translation to
> non-ASCII encodings like EBCDIC are also in the game.

Yes, but I believe that text mode works by translating native to "canonical"
on one end and "canonical" to native on the other end.  Canonical is
definately ASCII; not sure if it's \n or \r\n.

OTOH, another person says I'm wrong about that and I haven't verified so
perhaps he's right; sure seems screwy for it to work any other way, though.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

-------> Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  (let him go home)  <-----------