Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:52:52 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ip addr changes on 5.3 but not on 4.8

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 06:20:31PM -0500, Marty Landman wrote:

> >This has nothing to do with the FreeBSD boxes, but rather a
> >configuration issue with your DHCP server. The DHCP server can be
> >configured so that it will always give the same IP for a particular
> >NIC. Talk to your admin about it.
>
> Yikes Jonathan, I /am/ the admin. {:/

Having never dealt with DHCP servers on Windows, I cannot give you too
much advise about how to configure them. However, since you are the
network admin, you could possibly switch to using a UNIX based DHCP
server, eg ports/net/isc-dhcp3-server. There are a few examples in the
sample config files that show how to allocate IP addresses based on
MAC addresses of NICs, and the server works a charm with Windows
machines as well.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>