Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:19:03 -0600
From:      SNF <lists@stevenfettig.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   "ahc0: Someone reset channel A" - new FreeBSD 4.5 Install attempt - Help

Hi all,

I have an IBM Intellistation M Pro with dual PII 400 processors (256 MB
Ram).  It has an onboard Adaptec SCSI controller (AIC-7895 w/ bios 1.31) and
I am currently attempting to do a fresh install with the latest install disc
of FreeBSD 4.5.  I get to a point where the beginning installer is probing
the SCSI devices and an error pops up "ahc0: Someone reset channel A" around
the time that the screen displays "waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to
settle" - the error then ends in an eternal loop.
I think we can assume the drive (a 9.1 GB Seagate) is in fine condition
because it checks out okay via the SCSI setup/bios check and WinNT 4.0 (SP
6) is running fine on the system.  I have no idea where to go from here.  I
searched the mail archives and also the usenet archives and found nothing
that really related to the problem I am having.
Any ideas on what is happening?  (BTW, the hard drive is the only device
attached to the SCSI onboard adapter.  The CD-Rom drive is eide and runs off
another controller.  I have also tried controller A and B for the SCSI drive
and get the same results.  I have also looked for a bios update for the scsi
controller and can't find anything relevant on Adaptec's site.)
I would really appreciate any help.

SF