Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 12:25:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB driver in the works?

Hello!

I'm curious to know if anyone is currently working on a driver for
controlling USB (Universal Serial Bus) devices.  If no one is, I'm
considering launching a development campaign.

I have this wierd dream of running the Toshiba InTouch modules with a
FreeBSD box.  For those of you who aren't familiar with these, the InTouch
module is a LCD display with several menu buttons and a rotary volume
control that connects through a USB connector and sits on the desktop or
is attached to the display. There is another model that has the same
buttons but has single LED indicators instead of the LCD display.

In the standard Infinita system, the user can press keys to enable and
control system functions, such as the TV, radio, or messaging system.  As
a strange coincidence, FreeBSD can accomplish the same tasks, so it may be
possible to get the full functionality out of an Infinita running FreeBSD
instead of Windows95.  The video capture/FM board is a Bt848-based board,
which we already have extensive support for (thanks to the -multimedia
crew).

Assuming that Toshiba is forthcoming with the programming spec, it should
be possible to make a FreeBSD box with the appropriate drivers control it.

So, if anyone is currently working on the project, or if anyone is
interested in helping, let me know.  Thanks!