Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 23:36:43 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions....

Brett Taylor wrote:
> ----------------------FreeBSD portion of the chart---------------------
>
> Release                         2.2.7
> Based on                        BSD-4.4

Based on                          4.4 BSD Lite (in case any lawyers read this)

> Date of release                 July 28, 1998
>
> Cost
> ------
> Cost                            $39.95  (for any number of users)

Cost                              Free - CD-ROM media available
                                  for $5 - $40

> Software Development kit        included
>
> Supported standards
> -------------------
> Unix branding                   none

                                  Perhaps we should come up with our own brand
                                  that will encompass BSD-derived systems?

> Security                        none
> #Other                          ?? UFS ?? (they have the Linux File system
>                                            listed)

                                  none - Linux File System Standard is a standard
                                  for file system layout.  We *could* show a list
                                  of RFCs a mile long, if you really want to put
                                  something here.  ;^)

> System Limits
> -------------
> Minimum CPU             80386

                          386sx ;^)

> # Min/Max RAM           5 MB/ ?? at least 1 GB ??
> Minimum disk            60 MB
> # Maximum supported CPU's       1 (what's the max in current???)
> Available Clustering    none
>
> Hardware support
> ----------------
> ISA/PCI/EISA            yes
> # IDE modes supported   PIO 1-4 ?

IDE modes supported       PIO 1-4, UDMA

> Microchannel            no
> ISA "Plug-n-play"       yes
> PC cards (PCMIA)        limited
> I20                     no
> Tape/CDROM jukeboxes    yes
> Hot swap cards          no
> Sound cards             many
> Scanners                some
> Video capture           limited
>
> Filesystems
>                                              # ?)
> Fast check/repair               no
> Disk mirroring                  yes
> Per-user disk quotas            yes
> Multi-disk filesystem           yes
> # Available RAID levels         0,1, others?
> Mount DOS/CDROM filesystem      yes/yes
> Support RockRidge/Joliet CDROM  yes/yes
> # Backup software included      BRU  ??

                                  tar, pax, cpio, dump/restore
                                  (If they count "MSBackup" as backup software,
                                  *any* of the above will do)

> # Maximum filesystem swap area  ?
> Hot swap disk support           no
>
> Installation
> ------------
> Native package format           pkg_add (in tgz)
> Also reads                      none
> # Can query/validate packages   yes? (I'm not sure what he means here)

                                  yes - pkg_info is a query tool

> # Floppyless install if using   no (is this right?)
>         bootable CDROM

                                  yes (works like a charm)

> # Floppies required (min/max)   1/( for everything? - TONS - I think I saw
>                                     Greg Lehey say this was around 1400
>                                     w/ the ports collection)
> Install from remote TCP server  yes
> Install from remote IPX server  no
> # Express choices available     ? not sure what this means ?

                                  yes - the novice and custom installations
                                  save quite a few questions vs. the 'expert'
                                  installation

> Development
> -----------
> C Compiler                      included in base (gcc)
> Generates                       FreeBSD a.out (ELF in 3.0)
> Standard debugging tools        gdb,xxgdb
> # Integrated development envir. ?

                                  xwpe, Emacs (ouch!  turn that flame down, dag
nabit!)

> Java Development Kit            yes
> # Available Java tools          in house or is this 3rd party?

                                  Isn't the Sun Java IDE running (or at least
limping)
                                  with jdk-1.1.6?

> POSIX-compliant shell           bash available (csh is not POSIX right?)
> Perl                            yes
> Other Scripting languages       Python, Scheme, Tcl
>
> GUI
> ----
> X Server supplied               XFree86
> Std. GUI environment            in development (X-desktop contest)

                                  twm + xterm.  Better ones to follow, after the
                                  contest.

> Optional environments           KDE, AfterStep, WindowMaker, Blackbox, FVWM*,
>                                 icewm, etc

                                  ctwm, olvwm, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

> Standard toolkit                (depends)

                                  Athena

> Optional X toolkits             Gtk, Tk, Qt, Motif, Lesstif
>
> Connectivity
> ------------
> NFS server/client               yes/yes
> NIS server/client               yes/yes
> NetWare server/client           yes/yes (netcon)
> CIFS (SMB) server/client        yes/yes (Samba)
> Bootp/DHCP                      yes/yes
> Macintosh networking            yes
>
> Network services
> ----------------
> Standard web server             Apache
> Optional web server             Netscape (BSDi under emulation)
> Telnet server/client            yes/yes
> Network Address Translation     yes
> Firewall services               yes
> Base SMTP server                sendmail
> Optional SMTP server            qmail

                                  smail, smtpd, exim (my ISP uses this and loves
it)

> POP/IMAP server                 yes

                                  yes, several: qpopper, cucipop, imap-uw, cyrus

> Mailing list management         yes (majordomo)
> # Windows Internet Name Server  ?

                                  Does Samba include this now?

> Internet Domain Name Server     yes
> PPP client/server               yes/yes
> # DCE                           yes?
>
> Emulation
> ---------
> # Windows 3.1                   no?
> Windows95/98/NT                 limited (Wine)
> DOS                             yes (pcemu in 2.2.7, rundos in 3.0)
> SCO UnixWare/OpenServer/Xenix   yes
> Linux ELF                       yes
> Other                           BSDi,NetBSD
>
> System administration
> GUI-Based                       no
> Character-Based                 yes
> Web-Based                       no
> Enterprise Network Admin        optional (scotty)
> # Printed manuals               ? do they mean a paper manual or man pages

                                  Yes - "The Complete FreeBSD", O'Reilly 4.4 BSD
                                  manuals, plus on-line man pages