Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 96 14:00:16 -0800
From:      Mun Fai WONG <mfwong@mol.net.my>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Samba and truncated-ip problems

Hi,
    I am using a 2.1R box to serve as a file/application server for some Win95
boxes using Samba. All the new apps are installed onto the 2.1R filesystem
appears as network drive on the W95 box.

    However, I am experiencing very poor performance with the setup and
tcpdump, trafshow and netstat -i reveal that there are *many* truncated-ip
packets on the network, and netstat -i reports Ierrs is very high. This is
true even when only 2 boxes are active on the network (ie others have been
unplugged
from the hub). One thing worths mentioning is that, there seems to be collisions
hapenning as indicated by the LED on a 3COM hub, but netstat -i does shows a
collision figure (Coll) of 0!

    Playing with Samba max xmit and ed0 mtu values do not seem to resolve
the situation either. Currently, max xmit is set to 2048 instead of the
default value of 65536.

    Can someone suggest some hints/tips ?

    Thanks in advance.