Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:26:45 -0300
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Daniel_Dias_Gon=E7alves?= <daniel@dgnetwork.com.br>
To:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 1GBit router?

Bc. Radek Krejca escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> ZB> - upgrade at least to 6.3.  upgrading to 7.0 might also be better, depending
> ZB> on hardware choices
> ZB> - ensure your ethernet cards are on fast enough busses.  'em' (Intel Ether
> ZB> Express 1000) flavor ports are my personal favorite
> ZB> - enable polling (this will make a _huge_ difference by itself)
> ZB> - your hardware is (likely) dual core.  Make sure every piece of hardware in
> ZB> use doesn't involve any giant locks.  Under 6.x consider the mpsafenet
> ZB> sysctl.  This is also a point on which 7.0 will shine.
>
> I upgrade to 7.0RC3 but still the same. 418Mbit is the roof.

Is recommendable set MPSAFENET to 1 in versions 6.x to improve the
performance?
and POLLING in the following system with 8 interfaces IF_EM ??

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz (3200.13-MHz 686-class CPU)
 Logical CPUs per core: 2
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!

Interfaces if_em:
   vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
   device     = '82546EB Dual Port Gigabit Ethernet Controller'

--
Daniel