Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 16:07:16 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@freebsd.org>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@cris.crimea.ua>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org, ru@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to change man{1} output width

Alexey Zelkin wrote:

> hi,
>
> On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 03:09:23PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>
> > I'm using non - standard FreeBSD console geometry (100x37) and just wonder how
> > I can adjust groff configuration to format man pages for 100 columns instead of
> > default 80. I've tried to add .ll macro to the end of the
> > /usr/share/tmac/man.local but it seems doesn't have any visible effect :-(.
> > Does anybody with more deep knowledge of groff could advice me on this issue?
> >
> > In general it would be nice if someone would teach man(1) to respect COLUMNS
> > environmental variable - all xterm users would definitely benefit from that.
>
> I have made patches to change default width to 40 chars per Ruslan Ermilov's
> request. Since I removed these patches few months ago try to ask him
> (ru@FreeBSD.org) and just customize them with changing default values.
>
> PS: You need not to change anything in man(1). All issues are directly related
> to groff(1).

It seems that I have figured how to do it. The only problem is that there is two
types of manpages - one native FreeBSD and one for contributed software (e.g. tcsh,
gcc etc.). For some unknown for me reasons (I'm not a very big groff expert) the
latter actually make use of /usr/share/tmac/man.local, while the former requires
adjustments to the mdoc/doc-nroff. It would be nice if you add ".mso man.local"
somewhere in FreeBSD specific configuration, so it would be possible to amend
configuration in just one place and avoid editing mdoc configuration.

The best solution, however, would be appropriate modifications for man(1) to respect
COLUMNS and LINES environment variables.

-Maxim