Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 17:50:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        robert Backhaus <robbakfreebsd@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        Cherie & John Carri <cjcarri@earthlink.net>, FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: Can FreeBSD make a hard drive unbootable by other OS's ?

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, robert Backhaus wrote:
> Now we've got 40GB disks for the price of a good day's work, those tracks are rather unimportant. I still would use DD mode if I didn't want to dual boot, knowing that any strange formatting can be zapped away fairly easily.

> > You can do this for example with `dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd0 count=15`"
> What this will do is, for the purposes of any fsidk/partition magic/formatter program, return the disk to a 'Unformatted, straight from the factory' state. From there, do what you want! It's the `fix all problems' shotgun solution.

He he, coooool `man zero` -- this didn't appear until FreeBSD 4.4?!

> > Question 3, is this fdisk /mbr a DOS command or a FreeBSD command, or both?
> Dos command. It's the dos disk partitioner. Great for this, but it's too slow for most PC installers, who use things from Ontrack that format a disk in about 5 seconds.

Whoa 5 seconds!  What is this "Ontrack" thing to which you refer?

> > Ooh ooh ooh!  What is ZapDisk?  Is it like PartitionMagic for FreeBSDers?!
> It's a dos utility that does the 'partition table obliteration' outlined above. Put it on a boot floppy and add it to your tooklit. Do a google, I couldn't find it's hompage. It'll be at tucows et al

I recently found out that the bootable PartitionMagic diskettes are not
stand alone disks.  That is, in order to boot, they corroborate or verify
something as being install on a DOS partition :(

Is ZapDisk useful for recovery or repair operations, or only for
obliteration?  I ask because I have taken out my old 40gb drive due to
having run a command (`boot0cfg -B /dev/ad0s2`) which wiped my MBR *and*
partition table (I think / I am told)...

Needed: Some kind of bootable tool or method to mount the old drive and
have a utility guess-timate or figure out logically where it appears the
old partition lines were drawn... there are "4 slices" on that HD, data I need!

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder