Date:      Thu, 01 Aug 1996 00:55:08 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, Stefan Esser <se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE>, andreas@klemm.gtn.com, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/print/ghostscript4

Hi, Reference:
> From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
> >
> > It is not the case actually - there are cases when there is no newer
> > file, just a link with the new name to the old file...
>
> I realize it's a case the the same data, new name, but it's the new name
> that I think is important.  Those of us that know enough, can simply
> rename the darn thing in our ports/distfiles, and I think that we owe
> that much to our less sophisticated users, not to inject gratuitous
> confusion.  This is too much of a hack for it to be institutionalized.

I disagree, after sucking megs of identical ghostscript fonts,
I don't want to waste my phone bill on further duplicates, at the next
minor rev. no. upgrade,
& object to any idea of ftp'ing future megs of identical data,
just to get a trivial filename update.

Those people who aren't clued up can always buy CD-ROMs, with everything
pre-configured.  I feel zero need to subsidise them with my phone bill;
Sorry, but they can go buy a CD-ROM, & the profit can help
maintain WC Inc profit levels, to enable WC to subsidise freebsd.org.

They (the CD purchasers) are getting a $2000 OS for $40, that's cheap enough,
no need to subsidise it further with our personal phone bills !

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/