Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 96 14:24:27 MET DST
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        RDNN@MUSIC.MACARTHUR.UWS.EDU.AU (Alex Masoch)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reply for Boot Problems.

> To you guys at FreeBSD,
>
> Thanks very much for your prompt help with the booting problem I have.
> The problem is, that I still have that same problem, the floppy with the
> FreeBSD image will not boot, or won't really try. The disk begins to
> load for about 1 second but freezes. I have read all the sugestions
> allof you have sent me and I will reply to these:
>
> Binary Mode - I use Netscape 2.0 to save the boot.flp file to disk. I
> have a feeling this may be the problem. I have looked for options that
> suggest anything to do with binary with no success. I have even searched
> Netscape's help archives with the same result. No speak of saving in
> binary format. I have also tried however to tell my browser to save
> instead of view but for some reason it won't listen. Instead of viewing
> it however, I right click on the FTP boot.flp file (Windows 3.1) and
> select save to disk instead of viewing it. Will this work? It doesn't
> seem to have. I note that I have no problems saving graphic and program
> files (JPG, EXE).
>
> Rawrite - Seems to work fine, though I note that the previous10 times o
> r so that I have prepared the disk it has taken only about 40 seconds to
> do. Is that normal? The last time I tried about 20 minutes ago it took s
> ignificantly longer, about 2 minutes. Still freezes though.
>
> Downloaded boot.flp size - 1,232,594 bytes

OK, this size confirms your fears.  boot.flp should be 1,228,800
bytes.  Reject any other size, it can't work.

I don't know if clicking anywhere under Windows 95% will help.  I
thought, though, that Windows 95% supplied a standalone FTP program
without all these ambiguous buttons and mouse functions.  If you can
start that, from the DOS prompt, you might be able to download like
that.  Real ftp will work like this:

C> ftp ftp.freebsd.org
Connected to wcarchive.cdrom.com.
220 wcarchive.cdrom.com FTP server (Version wu-2.4(12) Tue Feb 20 06:10:35 PST 1996) ready.
Name (ftp.freebsd.org:grog): ftp
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
230-Welcome to wcarchive - home ftp site for Walnut Creek CDROM.
230-There are currently 571 users out of 1250 possible.
230-
230-Most of the files in this area are also available on CDROM.  You can send
230-email to (or finger) info@cdrom.com for more information or to order.  For
230-tech support about our products, please email support@cdrom.com.  You may
230-also call our toll-free number: 1-800-786-9907 or +1-510-674-0783.  Orders
230-are taken 24 hours.
230-
230-* * * Help Wanted -- see the file ``jobs'' in the root directory. * * *
230-
230-This machine is a 150Mhz P6 with 512MB of memory & 72GB of disk online.
230-The operating system is FreeBSD. Should you wish to get your own copy of
230-FreeBSD, see the pub/FreeBSD directory, visit http://www.freebsd.org or
230-mail to info@FreeBSD.org for more information.  FreeBSD on CDROM can be
230-ordered using the WEB at http://www.cdrom.com/titles/freebsd.html or by
230-sending email to orders@cdrom.com.
230-
230-Wcarchive now has a 100Mbps connection (via multiple T3s) to the Internet!
230-
230-** The ADA archive is temporarily offline due to a disk failure.   **
230-
230-Please send mail to ftp-bugs@ftp.cdrom.com if you experience any problems!
230-
230-Please read the file README
230-  it was last modified on Mon Mar 25 20:51:20 1996 - 8 days ago
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> cd /pub/FreeBSD/2.1.0-RELEASE/floppies
250-Please read the file README.TXT
250-  it was last modified on Sat Nov 18 16:53:00 1995 - 136 days ago
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> bin
200 Type set to I.
ftp> get boot.flp
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for boot.flp (1228800 bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
1228800 bytes received in 53 seconds (23 Kbytes/s)
ftp>

Of course, by far the easiest way to install FreeBSD is from
CD-ROM--contact Walnut Creek (sales@cdrom.com) for more details.

Greg Lehey                       LEMIS
grog@lemis.de			 Schellnhausen 2
Tel: +49-6637-919123		 36325 Feldatal