Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:50:37 -0500
From:      freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu
To:        Geoffrey Sanders <gtsanders_70@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help Needed for Cd-Burning

On 22 Feb 2002 at 7:34, Geoffrey Sanders wrote:

> Hello! I'm a newbie to FreeBSD(coming from somewhat of
> a Linux background)

 Welcome to FreeBSD. I haven't played with any of the recent
distributions of Linux, but I'm sure you'll appreciate the differences
FreeBSD offers.

> cd-burning under freebsd.  I know many of the GPL'ed
> applications used to burn cds require scsi hardware.

 Yes, cdrecord requires a scsi burner.

> What is used under freebsd for ide cdrw's?

 That would be burncd and it's part of the base system in FreeBSD 4+

 No need for ports or anything, just use burncd.

 I did like (and use) the cd2mp3 port to handle some music and mp3
creation.  Xmms I use to change mp3's to .wav

 Then it's just burncd to write the data or music cd's.

 For writing wav files to a cd:

burncd -f /dev/cdrom -s 8 audio track* fixate

 which means you have music in the directory you called this from
called track1.wav, track2.wav, etc.

 /dev/cdrom is usually a symlink to your real device. If it hasn't been
symlinked, use the proper device name i.e. /dev/acd01

 Data is a little different. You need to use mkisofs (in the ports) to
create your data "image" and then burn that to the cd.

-Gerry-
Web Hosting / Domain Hosting / DNS Services
check us out at www.interpool.ca