Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 17:04:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        pfg1+@pitt.edu (Pedro F. Giffuni)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Concern over ftp.freebsd.org

> > Most people do not subscribe to chat.  The most applicable
> > mailing list is probably the one with the largest subscribership...
>
> I disagree ... what about those of us that are simply not interested
> in this stuff. It's so bothersome to just start deleting email...at
> least spam can be filtered.

I'm not interested in anything at all regarding IDE; can you filter
that from -hackers, too?  Isn't hackers for talking about _technology_?
IDE hardly qualifies...

> > >       Surely it's on the mirrors, yes?
> >
> > No, it's not.
> >
> Is CVS broken ??

No, the Makefiles in FreeBSD are broken.  Since it's available
from CVS, but not FTP, the Makefiles shouldn't use FTP, by your
reasoning, right?

In point of fact, the 35 ports necessary fro building a release
are _NOT_ in FreeBSD's CVS.

> People shouldn't complain so much for something that is provided for
> free... remember..the BSD license doesn't include "the right to ftp
> the software from my nearest repository". It was particularly
> ridiculous to see this Jesus Monroy "demanding" heads to roll. No way,
> please keep the clown in -chat.

I didn't see him use that phrase.  While I agree he failed to
express himself well, the point that FreeBSD as a project is
apparently fragile is well taken.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---