Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:50:54 +1000 (EST)
From:      andrew@ugh.net.au
To:        D VAN <david@campsbay.za.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strange kernel logs ?

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, D VAN wrote:

> Feb 20 04:59:25 NYC /kernel: icmp-response bandwidth limit 152/100 pps

<snip>

> Anyone know how to fix this and what is causing it ?

You have ICMP bandwith limiting on in your kernel. These messages indicate
that your limit of 100 (ICMP response) packets per second would have been
exceeded (it wasnt though...I'm pretty sure your box would have sent the
first 100 and stopped).

Its usually a sign of someone ping flooding you but can be caused by
misconfiguration etc.

> Also why is this happening only now since ive installed named ?

May be a coincidence. Is named working properly? If named isnt listening
on an interface that gets a lot of DNS queries your ICMP response packets
may be just indications that nothing is listening on that port.

Andrew