Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 18:45:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Ben Black <black@zen.cypher.net>
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fxp driver full duplex packet loss problem

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Tom Samplonius wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Ben Black wrote:
>
> > a good indication of this duplex mismatch is a sudden appearance of FCS
> > errors and Runts on the cisco interface.
>
>   When I switch full duplex on the FreeBSD server, the switch starts
> recording late collision errors on that port (a 10BT port on a Cat 1900).
> I'm not sure what this means.
>
> Tom

  Actually I do know (now) what that means.  The switch (which is supposed
to auto-negotiate and has no manual setting) is set to half, and card is
set to full.

  I'm guessing the switch doesn't understand devices switching from half
to full on the fly, and only detects this on intial connect.  I will try
turning full duplex on, and them plug it into a different port.

Tom