Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:20:06 -0500
From:      Brian McCann <bjm1287@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        'Peter Erickson' <lists@redlamb.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Tape Backup

I've never ran one on FreeBSD, but I've used several DDS-3 drives of all
kinds of flavors.  I've had some problems with some Seagate ones, but
aside from that, I've had no problems.  The only thing I'd keep in mind,
and that I've experienced is that the DDS-3 tapes are not designed for
heavy use.  From what I've done, using 5 tapes a week, one a day, I end
up throwing the tapes out (after destroying them) after about 4-6
months...which is fairly average from what I've heard.  Also, a cleaning
tape, though I never believed it till I saw & used it, increased the
life of the tapes slightly, and I assume it also extends the life of the
drive...but I've never seen one croak, so I don't know.

Hope I helped,
--Brian