Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 2004 22:14:36 +0600
From:      Eugene Panchenko <replicator@ngs.ru>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NAT and IPFW rules

Hallo!

Out from reading the manpage for natd, I have a question about how to restrict IPFW access for NAT for the case when I have one computer connected directly to another one (having two NICs installed into it)? That means that I don't have to care about big private network, but rather want to narrow down the access to single private IP address.

For NAT to work, two rules need to be added:

    ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via xl0

Can this rule be restricted (is it possible to divert not every packets)? Right now, every packet that enters/leaves the system is diverted, sometimes natd process eats quite a lot of processor resources. Can this be avoided? How?

    ipfw add pass all from any to any

How can this be restricted? I basically need only outgoing stuff working, that's all, and silently passing any packets from whatever location to any destination is insecure to me. Can someone post a live examples of such setup?

Waiting to hear from some gurus ;)

--
Eugene
Размер почтовых ящиков увеличен до 25 мегабайт!