Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:06:23 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        jogegabsd@yahoo.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Advocacy help for CS professor

>just ask him, If he have to teach Operating Systems Internals,
>what Operating system will he choose?

Heh, Windows internals would be a four year degree. ;-)

> > - He says Unix is fragmented, therefore cannot have a unified vision and
> > focus, and that this automatically makes it inferior to Windows which is
> > under one company with theoretically one vision and focus.(to own
> > everything
> > :-)
>
>fragmented in what?

In that there is one company working on Windows, one desktop Windows product
at any given time (XP at the moment) whereas the Unixworld has Solaris,
Free-Net-OpenBSD, Linux, HP-UX, Tru64, etc. While there is some sharing
between them, particularly the OSS Unices, there are alot of differences
that make programming for them all a PITA.
I argued that as far as the commercial Unices go, if they all find different
ways of doing the same thing, there will be multiple (possibly good) ideas
in use, and eventually the best would win--whereas in the MS world, there is
no competition among algorithms. Once it is implimented, that is that,
unless something very serious requires a change. (MS typically never
rewrites things)

>One of the main points I think is important also is fear. This people
>does not know anything about UNIX and so they feel scare about it. They
>think is some sort of weird thing.

That's another odd thing about this guy. I don't know for a fact that he
knows anything about Unix, but he used to design and develop operating
systems for Burroughs corp. Presumably he is aware of Windows internals out
of OS interest alone, and believes that it is better than what Unix could
be, so one can deduce that he is not familiar with Unix internals. (While MS
may or may not have a good product, nobody in their right mind can argue
that its internal architecture is anything but a horrible mess of backwards
compatibility with terrible design decisions)
http://gate.cruzio.com/~billf/babag/

You made some very useful points that I will work into a document that I am
writing. Thankyou.