Date:      Sat, 1 Mar 1997 01:29:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, mpp@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mail.local modifications?

> I think you may have missed the point.  I can't speak for everyone
> else, but if someone sends me a patch which doesn't apply, and I've
> got 5001 other things to do (that being a constant), I simply won't
> bother with it.  This isn't snobbery, this is a simple matter of
> saying "huh, oh well!  I don't have time to grub through diff output,
> and a patch reject implies problems on the submitter's end in 99.9% of
> the cases (invalidating the patch) so I guess I'll come back to this
> later and go on to the next item in my list (a new stack frame is
> pushed, never to return :)."

And thats one hudred percent and completely acceptable and accepted behavior.
The problem is that the patch DID work, I didnt cut'n'paste, I read it in with
VI, made extra sure it was perfect, applied it twice to my source copies,
before sending it in.  The comment I got back was "its got spaces in it" which
it did, and I took as meaning he didnt like my spaces.  Not that it didnt
apply.

> The moral of the story?  Provide proper diffs, don't just go
> cut-n-paste happy.  Overwork is the order of the day here, and if you
> make it harder on the committer then he's likely to simply move on to
> the next task and drop yours on the floor.  Given the backlog of tasks
> we have, I also wouldn't have it any other way.

Me neither.  I understand this, I appreciate this, perhaps my interpretation of
his message didnt match his message.  But the patch did apply for me every damn
time, hell thats why I included the command I used to make the diff, just so
people could point out if I was doing something boneheaded.

-Crh

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich