Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 22:47:01 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        scrappy@ki.net, smp@csn.net, smp@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GigaByte GA-586DX-512 Motherboard

>> >	Hrmmm...I had thought that EDO RAM was better because it had
>> >'on chip' cache or something like that ...

>> Uh, no.  EDO RAM simply takes less clock cycles per access than
>> standard (or FPM) RAM.

>You should go read some technical specifications before you make such
>statements.  The actual access time changes very very little between
>EDO (``Extended Data Out'') and FPM (``Fast Page Mode'').  The only
>real effective difference is that EDO memory holds it's data outputs
[...]

No thank you.  I have enough to keep me very busy already.

I am not a hardware engineer.  I understand the _effect_ of running
EDO RAM, and that is that cycle times can generally be shorter, in
typical modern motherboards.

You can argue about the electical intricacies if you want, but I have
better things to do.  I'm sure you know what you're talking about, and
I may get around to looking at this info some time in the future (I am
always curious about the intricacies of the hardware, and generally
understand it fairly well).  But right now, I don't have the time.

How am I wrong in stating that "the effect of running EDO RAM in a
typical modern motherboard is that you can run with shorter cycle
times"?

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net