Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 17:16:51 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Michael Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Life working at an ISP (was: RE: Lockdown of FreeBSD machine directly on Net)

	*grins*  This is beginning to sound like a support group meeting...

	"Hi, I'm Andy, and I worked for a cheap-ass ISP..."

> The plus side to that environment is, there's nothing like trying to
> figure out how to make something work with inadequate equipment,

	Example (and yes, these are true stories) - Your primary server, the Dual
Celeron 500 MHz has begun to exhibit overheating problems.  You find out
that this comes from a combination of being overclocked (d0h!) by the
previous administrator, and the fact that the fans on the heatsinks are not
turning to keep the extremely dinky heatsink cool.  You clock the machine
down to where it's supposed to be, and go ask management for funding to
purchase proper heat reduction solution hardware.  Management tells you to
go get bent, that they're having cashflow issues.  My solution, bring in a
power drill, drill a number of holes in the bottom of the case, and park the
machine over an A/C vent, thus preventing it from overheating again.

> insufficient time

	Example - being hired to work "part time" hours while accomplishing
everything under the sun.  Turning in a time card with 105 hours in the past
week when you're only supposed to be paid for 20, and then getting a check
for 20 hours of work.  Needless to say, I raised hell over that.

> and screaming people

	Example - a supervisor who has to look over your shoulder and keep tabs on
everything you do, even when you have to prepare a report every morning
about your activities of the previous day, with down to the minute accuracy
to account for your entire day.  If the report wasn't there in the morning
by the time management got there, there was hell to pay.  Additionally,
being that you're not just the "server guy" but you're also the third line
of technical support, you also get it from illiterate users who claim "I
know computers better than you".

> to make you very good at
> solving complex problems very quickly.

	*grins*  Used to have a witty saying on the door to my office (aka the
server room) "I can only satisfy one person each day... today isn't your
day, tomorrow isn't looking good either, try next week."

> Of course, those solutions
> were often worse than the original problem.

	I can't say that.  I mean, after all, I made Windows NT do things that
Microsoft and the developers of the application in question said were
impossible.

> Sad to say, I think I had more fun back then than I'm having now.

	True... but, then again, how's the ulcer doing?  *Grins*

--- Andy