Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2002 06:11:29 +0200
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RTCW port and hw acceleration

Hi folks,

sorry for my ignorance if this has been asked before but what shall
I do to get hardware acceleration for the games/rtcw port?  I have
native DRI running with hw accel ok, and installed the linux_dri port.
RTCW complains that it wants libGL, so I installed the linux_mesa3
port but it seems to build with software acceleration, and running
wolf.x86 tells me:

 You are using software Mesa (no hardware acceleration)!
 Driver DLL used: libGL.so
 If this is intentional, add
       "+set r_allowSoftwareGL 1"
 to the command line when starting the game.

which of course works but is unusably slow.  I'd think that somehow
the 3d acceleration provided by dri/mesa on freebsd should transcend
through to the linuxulator, or shouldn't it?  Anybody got some success
stories to share here?

--mkb