Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 01:11:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        Pierre-Andre van Leeuwen <pvl@pc_pvl.nanoteq.co.za>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: simple network setup help

Pierre,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I'm so late responding.

I got the FreeBSD side working pretty easily, considering I have no
experience with networks. It will ping the other card and even report
its ethernet address correctly. I cannot ftp or telnet or do anything
else. I just get "permission denied" from the NT machine.

The documentation is no help and I think I must have done something
when setting up NT to restrict its communication to its workgroup or
domain. It seems to have no way to be told about another machine being
out there. I'm thinking I should just load FreeBSD 2.2.1 from the CD
when it gets here and forget NT.

The machine (the NT one) has a CDROM built by Toshiba running thru
an atapi IDE controller/interface as drive D. I'm hoping I read the
documentation correctly and that that should work. Comments? Anyone?

Thanks again for your suggestions.

John