Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:35:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        <jks@clickcom.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OT: Sendmail issues

John,

I have a couple ideas as this is what has solved this issue when I had it.

You do have these domains in the sendmail.cw (or equivalent) file,
correct?  Also, are the domains listed as "OK" in /etc/mail/access?

Also see FAQ page, http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.5

--Chris

John Straiton said:
> I know this isn't really the place for this, however comp.mail.sendmail
> hasn't been of any help so I'm hoping one of you geniuses has an idea
> what to do here before I go nuts.
>
> I am getting the
> 554 5.0.0 MX list for domain.com points back to myhost.name.com 554
> 5.3.5 <user@domain.com>... Local configuration error
> (names changed of course)
>
> This is caused because in our company, DNS entries are *always* set up
> to MX to our mail server regardless if the customers are going to use
> it. This makes enabling email on a domain easier on down the road.
> However, the problem is that now that over 2000 domains are pointing at
> the machine, we get around 300 or so postmaster messages a day with
> this complaint in them. That clutter is bad enough that we're
> sometimes missing the messages that we really do need to look at (spam
> complaints, our own email being returned, etc). What I'd like to do is
> make sendmail either A) send these specific errors to another user (not
> postmaster) while leaving all the other errors to natural means or B)
> /dev/null the the 554 5.0.0 things.
>
> In trying ./sendmail -bt, and using all the rule numbers I could find
> in my sendmail.cf, I was unable to find a rule that seemed to make the
> discovery that domain.com == myhost.name.com. In looking through the
> setup, it appears that this actual error message text actually comes
> out of /src/domain.h which I'm not about to try poking around in.
>
> Since we have multiple mail servers, and some bizarrely custom
> configurations, simply adding all the domains in BIND to
> local-host-names is not an option.
>
> What to do? Thoughts?
>
> John Straiton
> ClickCom, Inc.
> jks@clickcom.com
> (704)365-9970x101

Chris

"I'll defend to the death your right to say that, but I never said I'd
listen to it!"
     -- Tom Galloway with apologies to Voltaire