Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 1997 13:10:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Daniel Ortmann <ortmann@sparc.isl.net>
To:        dmaddox@scsn.net
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with -current ppp

> Seriously, I understand the need for security in ppp, and I would
> rather have it secureable even if it means a little inconvenience
> (like having to type a password).  However, since the window of
> insecurity is so small in this case, if I can trade security for
> convenience, I will.

> This is not an appeal to have ppp's security enhancements reverted.
> Clearly, making ppp more secure is a Good Thing.

Would there be any value in (or method for) a generalized mechanism
tying the ipfw stuff into ppp and pppd?

Perhaps a more dynamic mechanism encapsulating stuff now done in
rc.firewall?  (I suppose this is what ipfw.scripts was intended
for?)

Currently I spawn a while(1){ifconfig ppp0; sleep...} loop
to setup ipfw.  Icky, but it works.

--
Daniel Ortmann       507.288.7732 (h)  ortmann@isl.net
2414 30 av NW, #D    507.253.6795 (w)  ortmann@vnet.ibm.com