Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2002 16:14:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Tom Hines <tomhines2@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libintl.so.1 not found

On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Tom Hines wrote:

> Hi.  I've been getting this error a lot when trying to build ports and also
> when I reboot my computer and startx.  I know the file is provided by
> gettext, but I have the latest installed, gettext-0.11.1_1, which installs
> libintl.so.2.  I tried symlinking libintl.so.1 -> libintl.so.2, which works
> temporarily, but the symlink gets deleted after rebooting and after building
> a port.  I tried ldconfig with no parameters, which totally emptied the
> hints file for shared libs.  I thought it was supposed to default to -R,
> which supposedly rescans the configured directories.  I had to reboot and am
> still not sure it's back to the way it was, but things seem to be working.
>
> Couple of questions:
>
> 1) How do I tell the system I have libintl.so.2 installed and not
> libintl.so.1?

Rebuild all the ports that depend on libintl.so.1.

> 2) Who is deleting my symlink and why?

Not sure.  portupgrade can delete old libs when upgrading if you specify
the -u option.  However, by default, it preserves old libraries in a
separate directory.

> 3) Why does ldconfig screw up your configuration when you run it w/o
> parameters, and how should I have run it instead?

When you run ldconfig without parameters, I think it only catalogs
/usr/lib.  You probably want to run it with the -m flag to rescan and
merge changes from a different directory:

ldconfig -m /usr/X11R6/lib
ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib

Joe