Date:      Fri, 12 May 95 10:59:41 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        vernon@public.bta.net.cn
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: X-windows mouse problem

The original formatting on this message makes it quite difficult to
read; it has many lines linger than 80 characters.  This probably
accounts, in part, for your lack of response.  If I have a choice
between a readable message and one that I can't read, I will delete
the unreadable one in the hopes that someone else will get it.

] This is my second attempt at this question.  If anyone responded to my
] query the first time around, I appoligize, but I did not receive your
] response.  If I am sending this query to the wrong location, please
] indicate so and if possible provide me with an appropriate E-mail
] address.
]
] I have installed FreeBSD 2.0 and the associated X-Windows package on my
] computer system.  I have read the associated documentation and attempted
] several configurations to get the X-Windows server to function properly
] on my system.  Currently I can run the X-Windows server and it will come
] up, however the mouse does not function properly.  I have the mouse
] configured as a PS/2 mouse (the correct configuration for my computer
] system).

For the PS/2 mouse to operate correctly, it needs to be in your kernel.

] The /dev/psm0 entry exists, but the mouse cursor does not respond to any
] mouse event.  I have attempted all the configuration options that I could
] think of and have consulted the documentation that came with my the
] FreeBSD 2.0 version I am using (I purchased the Walnut Creek CD-ROM) but
] I have not been able to get the mouse to work properly.

Since it is in your kernel. the next step is to see if it is seen during
the boot process.  If it isn't, it's probably an incorrect jumper or
CMOS setting.

[ ... BEGIN out of context quote ... ]
] I am running FreeBSD 2.0 on a Gateway 2000 P5-75.  The system has a
] PS/2 mouse which is detected properly by the other software I use (my
] primary 720MB HD is dedicated to OS/2 v.3 - Warp - I run FreeBSD 2.0
] from a second dedicated 450MB HD).  I see no indication of the mouse
] being detected in the boot messages (I don't know if I should or not).
[ ... END out of context quote ... ]

You need to look at the kernel boot messages with the dmesg command:

/sbin/dmesg | more

This will give you the boot information as to whether or not the
kernel saw the device.  If it didn't, you need to post again to the
questions list with the information.  The probable advice will be to
try booting a more recent kernel.

If the kernel *does* see the mouse device, then the problem is that
you don't have X configured correctly (this is what I think the
problem probably is, since it's a common problem).

] The documentation I have indicates that you can cat from the device
] /dev/tty00 to check for mouse events.  When I try this I get no visual
] reaction corresponding to mouse events.

This is only true for a serial mouse on COM1 (on COM2:, it would be
/dev/tty01).  Unfortunately, FreeBSD doesn't have a common mouse
interface for all mice, nor a "mouse test" program (like SVR4).

] I have also tried to cat from /dev/psm0 and /dev/mouse (both of which
] exist), but these devices do not allow me to cat from them (unless I
] change the file attributes, and even then I do not get any visual
] reaction for mouse events).

I don't expect that would work.

] I would greatly appreciate any additional ideas or help anyone can
] provide.

You need to read the XFree85 manual pages; specifically, you will
need to change some lines in the file XF86Config.  This file will
be in /usr/X11R5/lib/X11 if you are running R5, /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
if you are running R6, and /usr/lib/X11 will be a symbolic link
to the correct location if the install is done correctly (I think
the 2.0 install was broken -- and could still be broken -- in not
making the symbolic link).

You will need to change at least the "Device" line and potentially
the "Protocol" line in the "Pointer" section.  You will need to
read your man pages to know for sure (sorry, I don't use PS/2 style
mice because they interfere with the UnixWare kernel debugger and
other less intelligent software, including Microsoft stuff).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.