Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 15:42:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@brann.org>
To:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, kline@tera.tera.com, freebsd@atipa.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why we should support Microsoft...

Jonathan M. Bresler wrote...
> Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > > So what is your suggestion on how should the DOJ treat Microsoft business
> > > pratice?
> >
> > I recommend that the DOJ just leave Microsoft the hell alone.
>
> [snip a lot about microsoft]
>
> 	the DOJ should strive to break microsoft into two companies:
> 	an operating system firm and an applications firm.  microsoft
> 	uses its os to force applcations upon users.  microsoft
> 	has stolen apps that it failed to write.  some of these
> 	have been added to the os product package.

[SNIP]

No, I have to disagree.  two is not enough.  I'd suggest at least four.
Split 9[58] from NT - make them compete.  It might well end up with
9[58] ruling the desktop and NT becoming a server, but that would
only be good.  There would be reasons for NT to support Mac clients,
and 9[58] to support UNIX servers.

On the App side, split products like Works from the Office bloatware.
Maybe we'll get a real chance to choose between industrial strength
and 'cheap and cheerful'.

One other result (OK, I'm being optimistic here) is that the IPC-like
mechanisms in the Windows world (DDE / OLE / COM / DCOM) would need
to become more stable for these products to be viable.  An, what the
heck, maybe the new OSes would have reasons to support 3rd-party
standards with more than press releases...

John
--
        Unreal City,
     Under the brown fog of a winter dawn,