Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:02:08 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Userbase of -current

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At 11:18 PM -0700 7/17/01, Peter Wemm wrote:
> >If I had to guess, I'd put the total [genuine] -current userbase
> >at between 20 and 50 people.  And many of those intentionally lag
> >by a few weeks to a month or two.
>
> At the kernel-confab at usenix, I heard some people talking about
> how "current wasn't really as bad as people assume it is".  I must
> admit I wonder how much current is actively used.  I know I try
> to build a new up-to-date current every two or three weeks, but I
> don't do much more on it than test a few changes.  I am certainly
> not "stress-testing" it.  Almost all of my real day-to-day work is
> done on machines which are tracking -stable.
>
> I have no profound comment to follow that up with, other than I'm
> surprised that someone would think there are only 50 people who
> are "really running" current.  I'm going to ask around a bit more.

	Somehow I always thought there were more than 50 people who are
"really running" current.  We do stress test it though and it had
performed flawlessly over the past 8 years.  Question though, does anyone
happen to know what the largest maxusers variable is that one can define
in the kernel config file?  We have it at 512 but what's the highest
number people have used reliably?  Thanks.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin