Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 08:21:33 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Ian Barnes <ian@cerebellum.za.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Machine rebooting during Setup

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 09:10:59AM +0200, Ian Barnes wrote:
> I am trying to setup a 486 DX2 80 with 4meg ram as a gateway to the net.
> Since it is so old, i cannot boot from the cd. I created the floppies,
> kern.flp and mfsroot.flp, i boot up first with kern.flp and all goes well.
> It then asks me for the mfsroot.flp, it will ask me to push enter to boot
> the kernel, i do that. Thats when the problem comes in. It just reboots a
> couple of seconds after that. For no apparent reason. It has got a 4gig hdd
> in, with some old graphics card.
>
> Anyone have any ideas why it could be rebooting itself (maybee i need more
> ram??)

Yes. 4Mb is definitely too little.  You need (I think) at least 8Mb to
run and probably 12Mb nowadays to do the installation.  Once
installed, you should be able run with the smaller amount of RAM, but
you'll need to put quite a lot of effort into tuning the system to run
in such a small amount of memory.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK