Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:01:13 -0500
From:      ScaryG <freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu>
To:        weiwuzhang@263.net
Cc:        weiwuzhang@hotmail.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: config mail client

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 03:50:00 +0800
"Zhang Weiwu" <weiwuzhang@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My problem is simple. I recieve mails through a POP3 server and send
> mails through a SMTP server as most people do. But how to config my BSD
> system so that when I send a mail using 'mail' it knows which smtp
> server to use and which pop3 server to check  for incoming mails?

 I believe you could look into:

fetchmail -- to collect your external pop3 accounts and put them into your
local mailbox on your local FreeBSD machine

sendmail -- to send all of your outgoing email through a designated smtp
server (ie smarthost).

Add this to your sendmail.cf file and restart sendmail (if in deamon mode)
DSsmtp:[smtp.yourhost.com]

> I'm sending this mail from a Windows box.

 Sorry to hear that ;-)

-Gerry
Web Hosting // Primary & Secondary DNS Services
at http://www.interpool.ca