Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:36:01 +1000
From:      John Saunders <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
To:        lrios <lrios@ziplink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux And FreeBSD

Your problem is with disk speed not memory management.
Try this and then tell us which system is faster...

1) Edit your /etc/fstab file.
2) For all of your ufs filesystems, change the options from "rw"
   to "rw,async".
3) Save the file and reboot.

Now you are playing on a level field.

By default FreeBSD uses a slow but safe disk access method, by
default Linux uses fast but unsafe.

Then if you need more performance use the ccd device to create
a striped partition across those 2 drives of yours for your /var
(and /var/spool if you have it) filesystems.

Cheers.

lrios wrote:
> Could someone please explain to me why a Linux 75 mhz machine kicks the
> hell out of a FreeBSD with a Pentium II 266mhz 256M Ram and two ultra-wide
> fast SCSI drives???
>
> I love BSD but for performance reasons linux may be my choice.
>
> Any performance tips would be helpful...
>
> My linux machine puts out about 700 (locally)emails a minute while BSD
> only puts
> out about 200... my limits appear to configured properly.  My kernel
> options have been set.. Is there anything that I'm missing to get this
> machine to work???  The only difference between the two is that the Linux
> Box is working like a dog while the BSD box doesn't go above .05 load and
> stays around 90 idle
>
> What are the differences in memory managers between the two??
> I've got a consultant here trying to get linux to do everything but with
> the numbers I'm seeing it's hard to stay loyal.. Please help!!

      .   | John Saunders   mailto:John.Saunders@scitec.com.au  (Work) |
  ,--_|\  |                 mailto:john@nlc.net.au              (Home) |
 /  Oz  \ |                 http://www.nlc.net.au/~john/               |
 \_,--\_/ | SCITEC LIMITED  Phone +61 2 9428 9563  Fax +61 2 9428 9933 |
       v  |    "By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends."   |