Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 17:12:39 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: retiring kernfs

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 05:02:41PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Any serious objections to retiring the (long obsolete) kernfs
> pseudo-file system? (I'll count any "kernfs? what's that?" replies as
> "no, go ahead and remove it")

I think we should remove it.  We've not recommended using it for half
a decade, the relevant parts of the information is available from sysctl (or
should be - if it isn't, removing kernfs is a good way to get people to tell
us :-), and if we at some point want to pick it up again, it would probably be
better to base it off the version in NetBSD (which has been maintained)
rather than the cruft we have in our tree.  The changes to date in the cruft
will be available from CVS.

Besides, it reduce the buildtime for LINT and the KLDs :-)

Eivind.