Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:22:31 -0500
From:      john.kiessling@pfpc.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   drive mounting issue

I am noticing a problem when the system boots up. It attempts to mount the
drive 4 times before falling back to PIO Mode. The actual line look
something like this.

/dev/ad4s1a
Read command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - Resetting
Resetting.. done
.
[does this 4 times]
.
.
trying fallback PIO Mode.

I am using the following hardware.

Pentium I 166 MMX - manufacturer is BCM
BIOS - 02/18/97-i430vx, w83877F - 2a596b3ac-00

IDE Controller Card: Ultra ATA/100  (this uses DMA not UDMA)
BIOS: CSA-649U Ultra IDE Controller Ver 1.86

Hard Drive: Western Digital HD, 18 Gigabyte.

freeBSD does recongnize the controller but gets confused about how it
should be mounted. I would like freeBSD to use controller correctly in DMA
mode.  Is there anything i can do for this.  I am currently modifing the
kernel but i am at a loss as to what i should to for this.  Any ideas??

You help is greatly appreciated.

John